Monday, September 27, 2010

Fleischmann's pizza crust yeast

The boyfriend made me dinner last night since technically it was Stepmother's Day (even if technically I am not a stepmother). I wanted a big pot of soup because it was rainy and gray here. He called back from the store and told me he wasn't in the mood for soup-insert soup-nazi reference here- and he was thinking of making calzones.

I wasn't sold. He has never made a yeast project and gets frustrated easily in the kitchen. But I rattled off a list of things to pick up.

He called back again and said, "what kind of yeast,...there are a bunch of different stuff?"

I told him to get the rapid rise. He mentioned that there was a packet that said it was for pizza crust. I flipped out. I had been wanting to try this but every time I go to the store they haven't gotten it in yet. He told me he would pick up a few packets but that I needed to calm down, it was just yeast!

The directions on the back of the package say how to prepare your dough. The boyfriend followed this recipe to make out calzones. I sat on the counter and watched.

My Thoughts:
This is going to be great for those nights we want pizza but I don't have any rising in the fridge. It has a lovely quality of not fighting to return to its shape. You all know what I am talking about, the stretch and snap! Anyway, it rolled out really smoothly and stayed in whatever shaped he wanted.

It doesn't have the same taste as the one I make and rise in the fridge for 24 hours. It doesn't have the chewy/airbubbly/ thin crust ness that I like. I know what a horrible description that was.

All in all I think it worth having in the pantry for a quick pizza night. If you want thin crust you will get enough dough for two pizzas and it will be done in half an hour. But if you are a true artist with your pizza and struggled for a long time to get your recipe just right, stick to making it on the weekends when you have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment